Wednesday, February 9, 2022

History of the Supreme Court

After reading the overview about the Supreme Court, written by the editors at the History Channel, I was unequivocally sure that I had been filled with a ton of new knowledge about the Supreme Court and the innerworkings of one of the most historical systems in the history of our nation. The first thing I learned that I had not known was that the Supreme Court has power over all the laws within our country. I believed that their form of "due process" was equal to that of a regular court in America, but it seems as if they have the power to make their own decisions, regardless of what the exact law says. Another thing I learned was that the Supreme Court, which is at the head of the Judicial system, oversees the laws passed and actions done by the other two systems, the Executive and Legislative. I had previously thought that they only handled crimes against the nation and crimes on a larger scale, but it is known to me now that they make sure the laws passed by the other two systems are fair and justified to the people of our country. I also had no idea that the Supreme Court was signed off on by George Washington, who also implemented the idea 6 justices that stayed on the court until they died or retired. I did not think the Supreme Court was that old The most important take away from this overview for me personally was something I previously talked about in my article, which is the power that the Supreme Court has over the law in our country. This was the most important take-away because it gives a simple yet powerful description of just how strong and influential the Supreme Court is to America. It also gives a good look into some of the corruption our country may face, as we have laws for a reason, but it seems as if they can be bent if chosen to be by the 6 justices on the Supreme Court. The most surprising thing I learned throughout this entire article was that in 1974, U.S President Richard Nixon went to Trial against the US, in which the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the US. This ruling made it illegal for the President of the United States to withhold evidence in a legal case. I found this extremely interesting because it seems as if the SCOTUS has the most power in our country, because they were able to make a law that even the President does not have power to reverse or cut corners on. Overall, this overview of the Supreme Court of the United States opened my eyes on many things, and I was able to learn so much about how our Judicial system works. This overview made me realize that living as a normal citizen, we are on such a small scale of the judicial system, compared to the higher ups of our country, and even the felons, that control the movements of our nation every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Relationship with Technology

       In order to fully understand and define our relationship with technology, we must truly examine our relationships with other humans. ...